Monday 4 June 2012

The Dana airline crash (3rd June 2012)








The news papers are calling it Black Sunday now and indeed it was a Black Sunday with all that happened.
I was asking a friend for a food recipe when she suddenly forwarded a broadcast she had received on her Blackberry about the Dana airline crash. I rushed to switch on the television but nothing was there.... I moved straight to the internet and saw the first news on Linda Ikeji's blog. In my mind I kept saying this cannot be happening... not again.

20 minutes after the first broadcast on my Blackberry, pictures of the crash site was already circulating (my heart fell), it really was true after all. Not forgetting that early that morning there had been bomb blasts in Churches in Bauchi and people had already died there....

 Finding out that the plane actually landed in a densely populated area completely freaked me out because then I was so sure no one would ever know the exact number of people affected by this tragedy...

As the day dragged by and more and more news filtered in (through social media) I just couldn't take it any more and had to take a break off my phone and the internet so I could attempt to have a good night's sleep..... even though I wasn't directly affected by the incidents, people close to me lost friends and families. 


By this morning when I opened my eyes and went on the internet and my phone and saw pictures of people who had lost their lives and hearing their story, if I thought I was sad yesterday I felt even worse off today... Parents who have left little children behind, Children whom their parents would never see again..Nigeria has had plane crashes before and the last one was six years ago but then you would see it just on the television or papers, but now with the advent of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Blackberry messenger) you could put not just a face to the victims but also their stories and how people who they left behind feel devastated.

Now hearing that the plane should never have taken off makes me just add anger to my sadness because anyone could have been on that flight. I always prefer to take a flight if I am travelling to Lagos (especially when I take my daughter) because the trip by road is so long and with the bad roads.

I know this post has nothing to do with makeup but as a make-up artist I get job offers all over the country and I have to put myself on the road or on the air to make my daily bread..

May the souls of the departed rest in peace and may God give the families they left behind the fortitude to bear the loss

*153 people were on board the Dana airline, cabin crew inclusive

4 comments:

  1. I don't know when or how I will recover from this news. My heart goes out to the families of the victims. My their soul find and rest in perfect peace. Amen

    p.s The management of that airline should be prosecuted and their licence should be revoked! we have had enough of negligence and greed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure I can put my thots down but I wonder when all these senseless deaths would end. Somehow we knew someone who knew someone who knew someone in that ill fated flight... RIP people..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a really sad situation...and theres no way the families that have lost loved ones will get over it. All we can pray for is strength for them to bear the loss. May the souls of the departed rest in perfect peace. Amen.

    ReplyDelete